Saturday, February 25, 2012

Calling All Angels

All men of action are dreamers. James Huneker

...But not all dreamers are men of action. 
   The other day I was reading several articles about trends in sex education in the U.S. for class.  I was alarmed to learn how explicit the material is that is taught to children in some areas.  Many programs include promoting and demonstrating contraceptive measures and downplay the importance of abstinence.  Very few sex education programs discuss the aspects of appropriate relationships or the emotional contributors to romantic relationships.  Most parents agree that sex education is useful and also makes it easier to talk to their children about the issues of sexual activity.  Many parents, however, are concerned that some particular issues are not appropriate for children, and that children are becoming sexualized far to early.  Many feel the state is violating their rights as parents to decide what their children will and will not be exposed to. The fact that the government is overstepping their bounds may be because many parents won't take their responsibility to teach their children seriously.  These trends seem threatening to my dreams for my future family and my nation so I admit I was little frustrated as I was reading about all of it.
   As I was reading my roommate asked me why, if people are going to do whatever they are going to do, I was studying issues of sex education, etc. anyway.  I was surprised to hear the tone of apathy in his voice.  I have noticed this appalling and impedimentary attitude all too often, both in and out of the Church.  If we have dreams which we think are important and want to see come to fruition, then we need to become men and women of action.  Social scientists and politicians are picking up on the fact that there are major issues threatening our society and they are doing something about it.  They are taking up the slack left by parents who are not proactive about teaching their children.  The weight of all the empirical evidence is to great to ignore for all those who choose to see it:  We cannot simply “let the chips fall where they may”  or to put it in scriptural vernacular “wo unto all those who say all is well in Zion”  This is, and always has been, a war of influences and cannot be won by apathy.  For example, Bro. Williams asked a question the other day in class: "Who plans on being a part of your children's Parent Teacher Organization?"  A few students raised their hands.  He looked around the room and said "I invite the rest of you to repent."  Then he told a story about when his wife was on the PTO and, after a discussion about the school's sex education program, asked to see the video being used.  The principal said that she had confidence in the program that was being used and that they had been using it for several years.  Bro. Williams' wife again asked to see it and the principle said that she would sit and watch it with her.  After 5 minutes the principle got up and shut the video off, apologized, and vowed that that video would never be shown in the school again.
   I recently listened to a song by Train called "Calling All Angels"  The lyrics struck me because they list several problems that someone might face in contemporary society.  Over and over he exclaims "Calling all angels, calling all you angels!" First I hope that we, too, can recognize the problems and dangers in our society.  Second, I hope that we are willing to pray for God's help and divine guidance with these things.  And finally, I hope that we, especially those who are disciples of Christ, will awake and arouse our faculties to answer the call.  "Calling all angels, calling all you angels!"

7 comments:

  1. I have a feeling I will be visiting your blog more often. I like this assignment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Thanks Jenette. I haven't quite finished this entry yet. I only accidentally published it. Keep ready and please feel free to comment and add your insight!

      Delete
  2. As a parent of children who are being exposed to this kind of education I whole heartedly agree. I am not a fan of sex ed being taught in school as I feel that it is a parental responsiblity. Sadly not all parents take the opportunity, leaving their children to peer pressure and misinformation. In this case it is best to be able to sit in on what they are being taught so that they can integrate familial beliefs with the information that is presented. Also there is always the option to keep them seperate from the presentation altogether. However this last time I only knew about it because of a passing comment from my children. Didn't they used to inform parents with a note or something? How dare they take that responsibility without involving parents. There is something that you said that struck a cord with me tho. Teaching correct principals about the emotional side of relationships is vital for there development. I appreciate the example of my own parents in their relationship. I hope that my kids will see us support each other and treat their spouses accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have insight from a parent who's children are going through this process. I'm glad that you are so ready and willing to take the responsibility of teaching your children!

      Delete
  3. Hey, I noticed in class that you had your hand raised to comment and never had the chance. It was a few minutes after I commented that my mom tries to make me prepare for the worst... I don't know if your comment had anything to do with that, but either way I'm interested in what you have to say! Hopefully you remember your thought.
    ~Heather Kirby (Family Relations class)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Heather, I don't remember! Can you remember what the context of the conversation was? or how your comment fit in?

      Delete
  4. Paul! I am so grateful for you and your desires. I think our children are so blessed to be coming to a father like you. I hope I can be more like you and find ways to stand for truth. You know what fits with this post? The most recent CES fireside from Elder Uchtdorf! I am running into lots of this type of stuff lately. I think Heavenly Father is trying to teach me something. I love you!

    ReplyDelete